Red Mango – Auntie Anne’s Kiosk, JFK International, American Terminal

Architect: Brian Viehland, Design on the Square
Owner: Independent Franchisee
Contractor: TBD
Location: JFK International Airport, American Airlines Terminal
Proposed Concept

Built from the base of an existing dated kiosk, this new concept modernizes the appearance and adds a second concept to the space:

An angular, aeronautical inspired canopy of light wood and dark metal soars above the new Auntie Anne’s/ Red Mango kiosk, welcoming passengers to indulge in delicious warm pretzels and cool frozen yogurt as they wait for their flights.  Lighting, signage and menu boards float from this canopy, taking it from purely aesthetic to truly functional.

Kiosk Concept from right

The angles of the canopy are reflected in the angled glass sign panels jutting up from the floor and back-lit with LED accent lighting.  The layering of the tinted glass panels reinforces the duality of the two-branded kiosk: complimentary, but contrasting in color, size and shape.

The face of the millwork is re-skinned in a new white oak veneer while the rear wall has been re-tiled with a dark gray matte tile and trimmed with the dark metal accents.  These new fascia materials are both clean and contemporary without being flashy.

Finally, the new solid surface counter tops are bright and clean, wrapping around the new equipment and providing an overhang for new integrated LED lighting.

Kiosk Concept from left

Time to Fly, Philadelphia International, BC-19

Architect: Brian Viehland, Design on the Square
Owner: Time to Fly
Contractor: Intech Construction
Location: Philadelphia International Airport, Space BC-19
Completed Spring 2012

A 16 year “cart” tenant of the airport has decided to take the plunge and invest in his first ever enclosed store.  This small space at the airport posed a challenge since it has only one usable wall for retail and a triangular footprint.  With some creative planning a workable solution was derived that utilized standard casework pieces to create a custom feel.

Mindworks, Philadelphia International, EK-2

Design Architect: Retail Design + Construction Inc.
Architect of Record: Brian Viehland, Design on the Square
Owner: Stellar Partners
Contractor: Intech
Location: Philadelphia International Airport, Space EK-2
Completed: 2010

Mindworks merchandising and store environment focus on the specific needs of the traveling customer, offering a fascinating place to enjoy before departure. Mindworks stores offer bright colors, active patterns, and rounded shapes, with interactive toys as the props for adventure. What began as a partnership with FAO Schwarz in Chicago O’Hare International Airport has evolved into a chain of stores providing quality toys, games, and apparel tailored to the airport customer.

Mindworks engages the customer and enhances the shopping experience. Adults return to a time before deadlines and meetings, while children marvel at unique toys and displays unlike those in any other retail store. Hands-on toy demonstrations contribute energy and motion and truly bring the Mindworks personality to life.

MB Bride and Modern Tux, Greensburg, PA

Design Architect / Architect of Record: Lami Grubb Architects
Project Architect: Brian Viehland
Owner: MB Bride
Location: Greensburg, PA
Completed: Fall 2005

The region’s largest independently owned bridal shop was outgrowing its strip mall location and purchased an abandoned restaurant and mini-golf course.  They quickly took over 75% of the two story building, adding a full service bridal boutique, mother of the bride department, tuxedo rental store, and a tailoring shop.  Two years later, they expanded into the remaining 25% of the space to increase their showroom of prom and homecoming dresses as well.  Brian Viehland was the project architect for this renovation while a project architect at Lami Grubb Architects.

*Brian Viehland was the project architect for this project while employed at Lami Grubb Architects.